A big hello to vendors, patrons and fans of the St. John’s Farmers’ Market and welcome to the 2011 season, ready to kick off on June 4, at the Lion’s Chalet.
I’m new to both, St. John’s and the position as market manager. I’ve been treated to nothing short of the best of Newfoundland hospitality since I’ve been here. I’m looking forward to working with, and meeting as many of you as possible, over the course of the season.
It’s evident to me already, that the farmers’ market is a gathering of great community spirit, wickedly awesome local food, crafts and talent. It’s also evident that the market would not come together each and every week, without the valuable contributions by our volunteers, helping in whatever ways they can, throughout the season. There are many ways and opportunities to participate throughout the season and some of you will have helped out in the past.
Following are just a few of the things we need help with, to ensure the market runs smoothly:
- Help set up or tear down on market day. There are tables/chairs to set up, tents to raise… In the past there has been a morning and afternoon shift.
- Volunteers sell our delicious coffee that helps raise funds for market operations.
- There is always a need for volunteers to do regular customer counts, or float around the market, making sure the grounds and hall remain tidy, helping vendors where applicable.
- We need a volunteer with easy access to laundry facilities to do a load of tea towels weekly, and bring them back on market day.
- A volunteer helps direct parking.
To become a volunteer, please use the contact form here
Whatever your role in the St. John’s Farmers’ Market, vendor, patron or volunteer – hope to see you there!
Terry Smith, 2011 Market Manager